Echo Zoe Radio kicks off the 9th year of the podcast with guest Michelle Lesley. Michelle is an author and blogger at michellelesleybooks.com, and joins us this episode to talk about Women’s Ministry. We discuss women’s roles in the church, Bible studies, and Discernment.
An Outline of the Discussion
- Michelle's blog seeks to disciple women in ministry that helps them grow in Christ.
- In order to accept your role as a Biblical woman, you have to be saved. The temptation is to rebel against it, and salvation is necessary in order to understand and accept it.
- Men and women are different, and that's okay; we complement each other.
- Men and women are wired differently, which gives them different strengths and weaknesses.
- It's all too common that people are drawn into “book studies” rather than Bible studies. They assume they need to buy a curriculum to study the Bible. Michelle encourages women to simply pick up the Bible, and demonstrates through her blog how to do it.
- There is a wealth of resources available in our day for deeper Bible study, such as notes and commentaries, and many are available for free online.
- Michelle loves to recommend a chronological reading of the Bible for a better understanding of the scriptures as a whole.
- We're not called to “redeem” pagan religious practices for Jesus.
- We agree that it's best to name the names of false teachers. Speaking out against them without naming them leaves room for people to assume someone else is the subject of warnings.
- Typically women are introduced to false teaching through a personal contact; via social media, introduction by a friend, etc. They “fall in love” with the person, then go buy the materials that person puts out.
- Proper preaching leads and teaches the congregation to study the Bible rightly.
- Context is key!
- 1 Timothy 2:11-15
- Ezra & Nehemiah
- Karla Tadler: The Berean Library
- Bob DeWaay: The Authority of the Bible
- Tony Miano: Qualifications for Ministry
- Richard Bennett: Roman Catholicism
- Gabriel Hughes: Understanding the Text
- Frank Turk: Our Relationship to the Local Church
- Lyndon Unger: Biblical Modesty
- Michelle Lesley ~ Give me church ladies, or I die.
- 10 Simple Steps to Plain Vanilla Bible Study
- ESV Bible Reading Plans (Chronological is at the top of the list)